At the time of writing this it’s July; difficult to believe that it was February that we last posted a tech corner. A few weeks ago we spoke about the website in the morning service. I thought it would be good to recap some of the items from that morning.
|There are, in essence, two groups of people that use the website, the church attendees and the visitors. We try to use the website to communicate information to those that stumble across us, either because they were googling Lossie, or looking for a church in the area. This can be information about service times, where we meet, etc. or in more depth, it could be about what we believe, or our vision for the church in Lossiemouth. In both cases we hope that the website would attract individuals, and give the impression that LBC is a place where they would be welcome and find friendship. In order for this to happen, they need to be able to find us in the first instance. – see box||The verb ‘to google’ Accessing the Internet; there are only a couple of ways to find information. One way is to type in the exact code for the page (called a URL) e.g. www.lossiebaptist.org or one of the search engines will give you a range of pages that represent whichever search words you type in.. There are a number of search engines, of which the most well-known is Google. Hence typing into Google is Googling. The problem with search engines is the number of results they produce. A google search for ‘Lossie’ takes just over a quarter of a second to produce 793,000 results. LBC comes up 4th….! Out of 793,000 i.e on the first page|
The second group are our own attendees. There are two objectives to consider here. The way the search engines work is a closely guarded secret, but there are some known parameters. Broadly speaking, the more a page is used and the more connections/links it has, the more it will rise up the search engines rankings. Our aim is to have it on the front page; top ten… Consequently, if we have a good site that the congregation use regularly, then we will be and remain on the front page of the search engines, making us accessible to the visiting public.
The lossiebaptist.org web page has a wide range of features (33 pages) many of which may be of interest to you. Please consider helping with the website by doing some or all of the following.
- If you haven’t had a look yet? please do.
- Use the features on a regular basis (daily bible readings, weather forecast, tide times, EA news, church diary)
- Use the links on each page to make recommendations (and hence links) on your social media pages. Tweet to hashtag #lossiebc, ‘like’ on Facebook, or just send email recommendations to friends
- Encourage visitors to the church to sign our visitors book online
- If you are an organisation leader – please check your page and give me updates at least every 6 months or so – let’s not get stale! Men’s fellowship – have you read your page?
- Finally, give me suggestions about what you would like on the site…
Neil & the team…